Monday, July 19, 2010

I took these pics late at night about 11 pm. This is called bearding and is quite common on warm days and nights. It means the hives are healthy and full of bees.
This is the healthiest hive I have. the top box is empty and the bees hang out in it. I didn't get a picture of it this morning but I under-supered this hive so the bees can start making comb. Later this fall I will split it.
I lost a small hive to wax moths this morning also. Very upsetting, it was the Russian hive and it never really took off. I think it had several problems that they didn't recover from.
1. the package arrived in may well after the flow here in Florida.
2. all natural comb so they had a lot of building to do.
3. I feed them honey but maybe should have added sugar water also. the honey was in comb.
So, I learned a few things, feed more and less room may have fixed the problem.
I have a nuc that I split out earlier so I put it in the dead hive. The few bees left in it were smoked and added back in, they should do ok with the strength of the nuc, it was a full 5 frames of bees and brood so they should finish cleaning up the hive and do ok from there.
Not the best of days but things happen and around here things happen continuously!

1 comment:

eljee99 said...

hello Grizz- It's my semi-annual visit to catch up with you.

I hope you are well and your hives are producing. I LOVE honey! I can imagine you as a "bee whisperer".

No change with me... same job, home, pets... just older.

Fire season is revving up. I know you don't miss it.

Take care,

Linda